In this day and age, specialists starting their career require more guidance and direction than ever before in order to be successful. On June 4th Sparxoo CEO David Capece spoke as Keynote Speaker to emerging leaders in the creative and digital community at the THRIVE Mentorship Program Kick-Off presented by Ad2 & AAF Tampa Bay. To continue the conversation, we virtually interviewed David on the importance of mentorship.
Read the interview below.
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve received?
- Over my career the advice that I have adhered to at several critical junctures was around perseverance in working through challenges. We often have challenging or sub-optimal situations, and it may seem easier to take a different direction and avoid challenges. The grass is always greener on the other side. However, with the support of mentors, I have gained the confidence to tackle these challenges head-on and am better prepared to navigate difficult situations.
- Name a mentor that stands out to you and why?
- While at ESPN, I was fortunate to have several great mentors. The mentor who stands out is Tracia Luh who led by example with high integrity and the willingness to share her opinion even if it wasn’t always the most popular opinion. Through Tracia I learned to take my thinking to the next level, and how data and relationship building can be used to move things forward in new directions.
- Why is receiving mentorship so important for career growth?
- It’s always important to get outside perspective and feedback to open your mind to new ways of thinking. Mentorship can help you explore new avenues, and it can also help you work through challenging situations, or even problem solving. Having a mentor in your corner will give you the confidence and the pathway to go further faster.
- How has your career grown resulting from the mentorship you’ve received throughout your life?
- Simply put, I wouldn’t be where I am today without the mentors who have graciously invested their time to help me grow.
- What mentorship practices does Sparxoo demonstrate for its employees?
- At Sparxoo, we have a collaborative team environment which encourages coaching and feedback. We do quarterly coaching sessions to ensure that we have a structured way to share feedback. It’s important to note that feedback doesn’t need to be negative. There is much positive feedback, and that needs to be recognized as well. It’s really about leveraging our strengths and having holistic self-awareness so that we can all focus on growing into our full potential.
Headquartered in Tampa Bay, Sparxoo is a digital marketing agency that focuses on helping brands such as Tech Data, Amalie Motor Oil, and Joffrey’s Coffee & Tea accelerate growth by creating stronger connections with customers through brand storytelling and their team of marketing experts.
Categorized in: Work
This post was written by Elevate, Inc.